Wisdom Wednesday Video Series
What to expect when expecting a retired Greyhound
In this video, we are joined by Elizabeth Gray MVB MRCVS, a Veterinary Surgeon in Limerick.
Elizabeth is sharing tips for those of you who are preparing to welcome a retired racing Greyhound into your family and helping to answer some questions you might have about their care, including bedding, food & treats and exercise.
Your Greyhound's General Health & How to Check
In this video, we are again joined by Elizabeth Gray MVB MRCVS, a Veterinary Surgeon in Limerick.
Elizabeth, with the help of retired greyhound Romeo, shows you how, by sight and feel, you can check some important indicators of your greyhound's overall health, including weight, checking eyes, ears and nose and dental health.
Your Greyhound's Feet, Skin & Joints & Signs of Illness
Vet Elizabeth Gray is back with retired greyhound Romeo to help you learn about your greyhound's general health. She takes you through some important tips for your greyhound's health and well-being, including:
- Checking your greyhound's feet (paws) for any problems & tips for cutting their nails
- Your greyhound's skin health and what to look out for - Joints - making sure your greyhound has healthy joints
- Signs that it's time to call the Vet
Preparing your Home
In this video we are joined by Lauren Popiolek, a Veterinary Surgeon and Veterinary Technical Advisor.
Lauren has some very helpful tips on preparing your home for your retired greyhound, including:
- How to make your home and garden safer
- Establishing your greyhound's space
- Helpful tips for floor surfaces, mirrors & glass
- Toys and stimulation for your greyhound
- Understanding their body language
The Day you bring your Retired Greyhound home
Treat & Train Techniques
Lauren has some helpful tips on treat & train techniques to help with positive reinforcement when training. This includes help with the stairs and toilet training and introducing a new name (if you've renamed your greyhound).
Managing Separation Anxiety
In this video, Helena Madden MVB MRCVS, a Veterinary Surgeon and Companion Animal Technician, offers advice on Greyhound Vaccinations.
Helena offers some very helpful advice and answers questions you might have such as:
- Why vaccinations are important for your greyhound?
- What are the main vaccinations a greyhound receives?
- Why do you need booster vaccinations?
Parasite Prevention & Treatment
In this video, Helena Madden MVB MRCVS, a Veterinary Surgeon and Companion Animal Technician, offers advice on Parasite Prevention and Treatment.
Helena explains why regular parasite prevention and treatment is important for all dogs, including greyhounds. She explains some of the most important external and internal parasites to look out for and how to prevent them.
- Fleas - how to look for them and manage an outbreak
- Ticks - what they look like and where to find them
- Mites - these tend to not be visible so Helena explains how you might know your dog has them
- Worms - the different types of worms and how often to treat against them
***Please note that this video contains stock footage of parasites for demonstration purposes. This footage is not of the greyhound shown in this video. ***